BROCCOLLI & ONION CURRY
Keep it simple with this super tasty, nutritious recipe
THINGS YOU NEED:
750 g broccoli florets
1 medium red onion
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 ½ cups water
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
1 ½ teaspoons cumin seeds
1 ½ teaspoons turmeric powder
1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin & coriander
½ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Cut the broccoli florets into 1 inch pieces
- Peel and slice the onion into thin long pieces
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot and then add the cumin seeds and garlic. Let it sizzle for about 30 seconds or until the garlic starts to turn brown.
- Turn the heat down to low, then add the broccoli and onions followed by salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and ground cumin & coriander, add 1/2 cup water and stir it together and leave it on a low heat for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Add another ½ cup of water, stir it and leave it to simmer on a low heat for another 10 minutes with the lid on.
- For the third time, add another 1/2 cup of water and simmer on low heat for 10 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Non gluten free serving suggestions include naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 323g)