Cabbage, Peas & Potato CURRY
A sliced and diced dish of goodness that couldn’t be easier to make
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium cabbage
1 cup of fresh or frozen peas
1 medium potato
1 cup cashew nuts
1 teaspoon salt
1 handful fresh cilantro
½ cup water
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ tablespoon ground cumin & coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Thinly slice the cabbage
- Peel and dice the potato into ½ inch square pieces
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot, then with the lid in one hand add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds, put the lid on immediately and leave it to pop for 1 minute.
- Turn the heat down to low, then add the broccoli and onions followed by salt, turmeric powder, chili powder and ground cumin & coriander, add 1/2 cup water and stir it together and leave it on a low heat for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Put the heat on low for 1 minute then carefully open the lid and add the diced potatoes, cabbage, peas and cashew nuts, salt, ground cumin & coriander, chili powder, turmeric powder and water. Stir thoroughly and simmer for 30 minutes on a low heat with the lid on. Stir frequently.
- Take it off the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include plain yogurt, rice, quinoa or cous cous and non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 391g)