Discover how easy this classic dish is to make - great taste has never been so easy!
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 lbs boneless chicken breast
2 medium onions
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 ½ cups / 400g crushed canned tomatoes
1 handful fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
3 tablespoons ground cumin & coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Dice the chicken into approximately 1 inch pieces
- Peel and dice the onions into ½ inch squares
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot, then add the cloves, cardamom, star anise and cinnamon sticks. Let it sizzle for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and stir occasionally on a medium heat for 20 minutes or until the onions turn brown.
- Add the tomato paste, ginger, garlic, crushed canned tomatoes, salt, water, garam masala, turmeric powder, chili powder and ground cumin & coriander. Stir it and let it simmer for 10 minutes on a low heat with the lid on. Check and stir frequently.
- Add the chicken, stir it and then cook for another 30 minutes on a low heat with the lid on.
- Take off the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous and non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 632g))