Chicken Korma Curry
A well-loved sweet sensation!
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 lbs boneless chicken breast
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 medium onions
1 cup / 265g crushed canned tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
½ cup shredded/desiccated coconut (can be found in baking section)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups plain yogurt
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons ground cumin & coriander
¼ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Dice the chicken into approximately 1 ½ inch pieces
- Peel and grate/shred the onion
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot and then add the star anise, cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cumin seeds and onions. Stir it on medium heat and let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the onions are REALLY brown.
- Add the tomato paste, crushed canned tomatoes, garlic, ginger, salt, yogurt, coconut, brown sugar, water, turmeric powder, garam masala, ground cumin & coriander and chili powder. Put the lid on and simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken, stir it in, put the lid on and simmer on a low heat for another 30 minutes. Keep checking and stirring occasionally.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous and non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 673g)