Chicken Made in RICE WITH Yogurt SAUCE (Biryani)
Enjoy simply delicious flavors with this authentic dish
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 lbs boneless & skinless chicken thighs
2 cups uncooked basmati rice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
6 medium fresh tomatoes
1 ½ teaspoon salt
3 cups water
1 handful fresh cilantro
2 cups plain yogurt
1 small red onion
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
2 star anise
4 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon garam masala
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Dice the chicken into approximately 1 ½ inch pieces
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Dice 4 tomatoes into 1 inch square pieces
- Slice remaining 2 tomatoes each into 8 quarts
- Peel and slice the red onion into thin slices
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Have aluminum foil at hand
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Soak the rice in a bowl of cold water (so it’s completely covered) for 15 minutes.
- Before heating the cooking pan add the chicken, 4 diced tomatoes, garlic, ginger, 1 teaspoon salt, cloves, cardamom, star anise, cinnamon sticks, garam masala, turmeric powder, chili powder and 3 cups of water to the cooking pan and stir it together.
- Then heat the cooking pan on a high temperature until it comes to the boil and then simmer on a low to medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Drain the soaked rice.
- Take the cooking pan off the heat and separate the broth from the chicken using a colander and a large heat resistant bowl, put the chicken back into the cooking pan.
- Add the drained uncooked rice into the cooking pan (with the chicken) and now add 4 cups of the broth to the cooking pan. Note: if you do not quite have 4 cups that’s okay, just top up with water.
- Cover the cooking pan completely with aluminum foil and put it back on low heat and simmer for approximately 15 minutes, or until the rice is cooked.
- Now for the yogurt sauce, place the yogurt in a serving bowl and add the sliced red onion, quartered tomatoes and about ½ handful of chopped cilantro and ½ teaspoon salt and stir.
- When serving, plate the biryani and yogurt sauce at an approximate ratio of 4:1 respectively.
- Serve and garnish with remaining fresh cilantro.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 855g)