Chicken Spinach Curry
A fresh & healthy festival of flavor. It’s simply delicious!
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 lbs boneless chicken breast
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
4 medium tomatoes
2 medium onions
12 oz / 340 g fresh spinach
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
1 handful fresh cilantro
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
3 tablespoons ground cumin & coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Dice the chicken into approximately 1 ½ inch pieces
- Peel and dice the onions into ½ inch square pieces
- Blend the spinach and fresh tomatoes together in a food processor
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot and then add the star anise, cloves, cinnamon sticks and cardamoms. Stir it and let it sizzle for about 1 minute. You may want to put the lid on as it can pop.
- Add the diced onions and butter, stir it and let it cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the onions are REALLY brown with the lid on.
- Add the blended tomatoes and spinach, salt, ginger, garlic, chili powder, turmeric powder, ground cumin & coriander and garam masala. Stir it really well and let it cook on medium heat for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the diced chicken, stir it well and let it simmer on a low heat for 40 minutes with the lid on. Keep checking and stirring periodically.
- After 40 minutes, take it off the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous and non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 844g)