Brighten your day with this colorful classic. Works great as a side or full dish and yes, it really is that good!
THINGS YOU NEED:
2lbs corn kernels
1 large onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shredded/desiccated coconut (can be found in baking section)
1 ½ cups / 400g crushed canned tomatoes
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
¾ cup plain yogurt
1 cup water
1 handful fresh cilantro
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Peel and dice the onions into ½ inch pieces
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot, then with the lid in your hand add the mustard seeds. Put the lid on quickly and let it pop for 30 seconds.
- Put the heat on low for 1 minute then carefully open the lid and add the onions. Cook them on a medium heat for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the ginger, coconut, crushed canned tomatoes, salt, chili powder and turmeric powder. Stir it and simmer for 5 minutes on a low heat with the lid on.
- Add the corn and water and stir it together. Simmer for 5 minutes on a medium heat with the lid on.
- Add the yogurt and chopped cilantro, stir it and simmer for another 10 minutes on a low heat with the lid on.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous and non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 641g)