CRUSHED VEGETABLE CURRY
Expect the unexpected with this veggie extravaganza. Who wants to win the healthy taste race?
THINGS YOU NEED:
1 medium onion
1 medium cauliflower
2 cups of fresh or frozen peas
2 medium potatoes
½ medium eggplant
4 medium fresh tomatoes
2 tablespoons fresh ginger
1 tablespoon fresh garlic
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup water
1 handful fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons olive oil
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 tablespoon ground cumin & coriander
½ tablespoon garam masala
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Peel and dice the onion into ½ inch square pieces
- Peel and dice the potato into ½ inch square pieces
- Cut the cauliflower florets into large pieces
- Cut the eggplant into 1 inch square pieces
- Blend the fresh tomatoes in a food processor
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Boil the cauliflower, peas, potatoes and eggplant in a large saucepan for 30 minutes.
- Now for the sauce. In a sauté pan, heat the oil so it’s hot, then add cumin seeds and garlic, let it sizzle for 1 minute.
- Add the onions, stir it and let it cook on a medium heat for about 20 minutes or until the onions are REALLY brown with the lid on.
- Then add the fresh tomatoes, ginger, salt, ground cumin & coriander, chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and ½ cup of water. Stir thoroughly and simmer for 20 minutes on a low heat with the lid on. Stir it frequently.
- Drain the cauliflower, peas, potatoes and eggplant using a colander and then lightly mash it before adding it to the sauce. When draining the vegetables, save the water and add ½ cup water back to the sauce. Stir and simmer with the lid on for another 30 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and mix in the chopped cilantro.
- Suggest serving with your choice of toasted bread with butter.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 303g)