A classic dish bursting with incredible flavors. No need to stew over this dish, sit back and watch your marinade work its magic! *Marinate 24 Hours Ahead
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 ½ lbs boneless lamb
4 medium fresh tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon salt
1 handful fresh cilantro
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin & coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Dice the lamb into approximately 1 ½ inch pieces
- Blend the 4 tomatoes in a food processor
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section
- Place ALL the ingredients (other than cilantro) into a cooking pot 24 hours ahead. Stir thoroughly, cover it and place it in the fridge.
- After 24 hours, cook on a medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid on. Keep stirring and checking to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Simmer on a low heat for another 1 hour and 45 minutes with the lid on. Check it and stir occasionally.
- Take it off the heat and stir in some lightly chopped cilantro.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous or non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread or your choice of freshly cut bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 235g)