A hearty, healthy classic, you can be sure these lentils will satisfy your appetite without any of the guilt!
*Lentils should be soaked for 4 hours before cooking
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 cups lentils (before soaking)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
2 medium onions
2 ½ cups water
2 cups / 530g crushed canned tomatoes
1 ½ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 handful fresh cilantro
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
1 tablespoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1½ teaspoons garam masala
1 tablespoon ground cumin & coriander
¼ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Soak the lentils for at least 4 hours before cooking
- Peel and dice the onions into ½ inch pieces
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Drain the soaked lentils.
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot, then add the cumin seeds, cloves and garlic and let it sizzle for 1 minute.
- Add the onions and cook them on a medium heat for 5 minutes, or until they are soft.
- Add the crushed canned tomatoes, ginger, salt, cilantro, water, turmeric powder, chili powder, garam masala and ground cumin & coriander. Stir and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Then add the lentils and simmer for 1 hour on a low heat with the lid on. Stir regularly.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa, cous cous or salad or non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 371g)