Spice up your rice with this quick and easy dish – works great on its own or served with other dishes.
THINGS YOU NEED:
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
½ tablespoon salt
4 cups cooked basmati rice (hot or cold is fine)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion
½ cup cashew nuts
½ cup raisins
½ cup frozen corn
¼ cup water
1 handful fresh cilantro
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Peel and dice the onion into ½ inch squares
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot then add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and garlic. Let it sizzle for 30 seconds with the lid on.
- Put the heat on low for 1 minute then carefully take the lid off and add the onions, cashew nuts, corn and raisins, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now add the cooked rice, chili powder, turmeric powder, water, salt and ¾ handful of cilantro. Stir and let it simmer for 5 minutes with the lid on (careful not to let the rice stick to the pan).
- Serve and garnish with remaining fresh cilantro.
- Suggest serving with plain yogurt.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 191g)