Spicy Shrimp CURRY
A mouth-watering spicy shrimp infusion. Big on taste, big on flavor!
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 lbs cooked, peeled shrimp
2 bunches green onions
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 medium fresh tomatoes
1 handful fresh cilantro
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon ground cumin & coriander
½ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Chop the green onions into ¼ inch pieces
- Blend the tomatoes in a food processor
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- If using frozen shrimp defrost thoroughly first and drain off any excess water
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- In a sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil so it’s hot then add the green onions. Let it cook for about 10 minutes or until the onions start turning brown.
- Add the blended tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, turmeric powder, ground cumin & coriander, chili powder and garam masala. Stir it and let it simmer for about 15 minutes on a low heat with the lid on.
- Meanwhile in a separate frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil so it’s hot then add the garlic. Let it cook for about 1 minute and then add the shrimp. Sauté the shrimp for about 5 minutes or until the shrimp have cooked through.
- Add the plain yogurt to the shrimp, stir it thoroughly and then add it to the sauce that’s been simmering in the separate pan.
- Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and garnish with the chopped cilantro.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous and non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 408g)