SPINACH & PEAS CURRY
Go green with this fresh veggie delight, eating two of your five a day has never been so tasty!
THINGS YOU NEED:
24 oz / 680 g fresh spinach
2 cups fresh or frozen peas
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
1 medium fresh tomato
½ cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 handful fresh cilantro
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon ground cumin & coriander
¼ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Blend the spinach in a food processor
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Dice the tomato into ½ inch square pieces
- Lightly chop the cilantro
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot then add the cumin seeds and garlic and let it sizzle for 30 seconds.
- Then add the spinach, peas, diced tomatoes, salt, water, turmeric powder, chili powder and ground cumin & coriander. Put the lid on and simmer for 20 minutes on a medium to low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Take off the heat and stir in the chopped cilantro.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous or non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 319g)