Steak & Ale Vindaloo
A fiery slow cooking recipe to make your mouth water *Marinate 24 hours ahead Recipe Created by Rich Williams, California, US
THINGS YOU NEED:
2 lbs braising/stewing beef
1 bottle dark beer/ale (12oz bottle)
2 medium potatoes
4 medium fresh tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1 teaspoon salt
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin & coriander
1 ½ teaspoons garam masala
2 star anise
2 cinnamon sticks
2 teaspoons chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Dice the beef into stew pieces or 1 ½ - 2 inch pieces
- Blend the tomatoes in a food processor
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section (other than the potatoes which should be prepared whilst the dish is cooking)
- Add ALL the ingredients from Things You Need and From The Spice Box (other than the potatoes) into a cooking pot 24 hours ahead. Stir it thoroughly, cover it and put it in the fridge.
- After 24 hours, cook on a medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid on. Keep stirring and checking to make sure it doesn’t stick.
- Simmer on a very low heat for another 2 hours with the lid on. Check it and stir occasionally.
- Peel and cut each of the potatoes into 8 equal pieces.
- TAdd the potato pieces and let it simmer on a low heat for another 30-40 minutes with the lid on, or until the potatoes are cooked through, stirring frequently.
- Take it off the heat and serve.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice or non gluten free options such as naan, pita bread or your choice of freshly cut bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 652g)