Sweet potato, cauliflower & eggplant curry
Packed with fresh vegetables this dish is simply a taste sensation - outstanding on those taste buds Recipe Created by Ren Patel, London, UK
THINGS YOU NEED:
1 medium eggplant
1 large sweet potato
1 medium cauliflower
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
2 cups water
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz)
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons shredded/desiccated coconut (can be found in baking section)
FROM THE SPICE BOX:
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 tablespoon ground cumin & coriander
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon chili powder*
*Note: if you prefer a hotter spice level
increase the amount of chili powder by ¼ teaspoon increments to suit your taste. Be cautious!
- Dice the eggplant into ½ inch pieces
- Peel and dice the sweet potato into ½ inch pieces
- Cut the cauliflower florets into 1 inch pieces
- Peel and chop the garlic as finely as possible
- Peel and chop the ginger as finely as possible
- Prepare everything else from the Things You Need section so that all ingredients are at hand and you are ready to cook
- Heat the oil in the pan so it’s hot, then with the lid in your hand add the mustard seeds and cover quickly, let it pop for about 30 seconds.
- Put the heat on low for 1 minute and carefully open the lid and add the crushed canned tomatoes, garlic, ginger, coconut, salt, water, ground cumin & coriander, turmeric powder and chili powder. Stir it well and then add the sweet potato, cauliflower and eggplant and stir again.
- Simmer on a low to medium heat for 30 minutes with the lid on, stirring occasionally.
- Suggested serving accompaniments include rice, quinoa or cous cous and non gluten free options such as naan or pita bread.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (serving size 641g)